Sunday, August 23, 2009
Sunday, August 23, 2009 Eugene, OR
Riding today from rural Blue River to the city of Eugene (10,000+) was culture shock. The ride was fast on Hwy 126 and alternate roads, was basically flat and uneventful. Except for an unusual covered bridge, there wasn't much to see. I rode along the McKenzie River and through forests then through farmland. I did notice today that there were many more brown fields and yards and much less irrigation like we've seen until today. My usual riding partner and I were housed last night in different motels. Since she didn't need to come over for breakfast or to get snacks, I never saw Virginia until after I reached The Red Lion. I rode by myself most of the 55 miles which was fine but also lonesome. I did enjoy sitting with 3 others about 9:30 for hot chocolate. I was still so cold from the 7:20 start at 40 degrees. Thought my toes and fingers would never thaw. They did, though, and by 10:30 I had shed most of the extra wraps. With the wind, there's still a nip in the air altho now about 70. Jackie joined us today for the final week. She's the company owner and president and flew out from Rochester, NY. In her honor we all enjoyed wine and cheese before a dinner of beef stew, salad and fresh peaches. . . . Sorry, this was one of those slow news days. :))
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment