Sunday, August 16, 2009
Friday, August 14, 2009 Halfway, OR
Just when I think the scenery of one day can't get any better, I begin the next day and I'm overwhelmed by the beauty through which we travel. Today, the weather began a little "iffy". In fact it rained early on but always just ahead of us! The sun came out as we struggled in a gusty headwind up 16 miles to the top of the pass which the sign said was at 4131 ft. We started at 2000+ ft. Then down we went for 6 miles or so, but I was more or less comfortable with the descent today. Altho there was no shoulder, there was also very little traffic and nothing bigger than a camper. Thank goodness we left Hwy. 95 behind in Cambridge! For about 13 miles we rode through Helll's Canyon and along the beautiful Snake River. Hell's Canyon is the deepest canyon in North America and is truly spectacular. The mountains were craggy with basalt rock and rather barren, but at times I felt as though I were surrounded on all sides in a very deep bowl. After one steep downhill we came upon a cafe with delicious hot chocolate. It was still cool enough to continue wearing fingered gloves, arm warmers, a wind vest and light jacket. Most of this was shed later on down the road as the sun got higher. At mile 39 (of 57) we crossed the Snake River and were back in Oregon and back on Pacific time. On one last steep little climb, I lost my chain. Took me 3 tries to get it back on properly. Was glad I had stuffed surgical gloves into my seat pack! Also, I really appreciated that my riding buddy, Virginia, had waited for me at the top. From there on we putzed along the final 15 miles into Halfway, so named because there was already an OR town named Midway, which the local postmaster had wanted for the town's name. After checking in and getting room keys, we crossed the street and had coffee and a pastry at Miss Mimi's, a darling one room restaurant in a former frame house. Mimi's garden is beautiful as are many gardens around this charming village. Was told tonight that we climbed a total of 2975 ft today. Good supper of split pea soup, dutch oven cornbread, salad and fruit. No cell phone service again or available internet. The library had closed at noon, but I walked across the street to a lovely, old Presbyterian Church. Since the front door was unlocked, I walked in and spent about half hour writing in my journal and covering my prayer list - a special time. Finally able to get phone service, once standing in a pasture next door to the motel and once in the middle of the street behind Miss Mimi's.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment