Sunday, August 16, 2009

Saturday, August 15, 2009 Baker City, OR

Today, I am so tired. A combination of gripping my hand brakes for long downhills and peddling up some incredibly long hills has put a strain on my lower back and shoulders. After tomorrow we have another day off. I may search for a massage. In the meantime I'm doing what I can - drugs and rest. (Should I qualify "drugs"?) I usually mix a recovery powder with water and ice (Endurox) after each day's ride and take a Naproxen if I really hurt. :)) Leaving Halfway this morning we immediately had a 4.6 mile climb to get out of the valley and back into Hell's Canyon. Today there were several peaks and downhills to conquer. The river we followed was the Powder River - interesting name and I don't know the origin. For several miles we observed a highway down below next to the river and then the road abruptly ended at what looked like a rock slide. Just beyond we stopped to read the historical marker. Turns out that this spot is referred to as "Hole In the Wall". In 1984 some small tremors caused a basalt slide that dammed up the Powder and totally cut off Hwy. 86. We were riding on the "new" road which was built up much higher. A little further down the road we passed a sign telling us that we were leaving Hell's Canyon. I must say, I don't regret that one bit! At an average of 10 miles an hour, this was a long 54 mile day.



About 6 miles out of Baker City some of the ladies took a side trip up one last steep hill to tour the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center. Those who did really enjoyed it, but as Virginia said, "That's one interpretive center that will have to go uninterpreted." I totally agreed. Baker City is located in a huge valley and is known for its farming, horses and cattle. The Oregon Trail came through here and the deep ruts from covered wagons can still be seen in certain areas. Near the road there was another historical marker and walking through a turn style, Va and I were able to look at a section of the actual Oregon Trail. (The hearty tourists didn't see this!) Gold was discovered in the early 1800's giving rise to several boom towns around Baker City. Most were left as ghost towns after the gold played out and miners moved on to new mines. At our motel, we had the friendliest hostess I have ever seen. Toni Ann just could not do enough for us. She made tons of homemade cookies, and this morning she had homemade breakfast burritoes! I emphasize the "homemade" because these were NOT slice and bakes or frozen treats! Thanks, Toni Ann. We'll send you a post card. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment