

Left this am at 6:15 in order to beat the heat and rode en mass across the River on Sandhill Memorial Bridge. Then it was quite a climb for 2.5 miles up into the high hills overlooking The River. I think these hills are called the high desert. Whatever, they are quite steep and are covered with basalt looking rocks. High above along the top, there were many, many wind turbines which had their own charm. At mile 35 we had a stop at a mini-mart, otherwise there were absolutely no services available until we reached Umatilla at mile 88. The SAG wagon was all over the place trying to make sure we had enough water. We were soaking neck scarves, heads, feet - you name it, to keep cool. Well, I actually just soaked my neck bandana. The CA, NY and ME gals are just not accustomed to the heat and really are suffering. Makes me almost glad to be from Memphis. I think I'm conditioned to the heat and really did just fine. In fact until I climbed that last killer hill up and away from the river (think Jackson Hill), my average was 15 mph. We enjoyed tailwinds today like I've never known before or that would not have happened. . . In fact I felt for the bikers that we passed going West. It was good that we had no sightseeing opps today. We were just all determined to get here and off the bikes and out of the heat. My group got in at 1:30ish and made a stop for ice cream near the hotel. Then, I went into the pool, clothes and all and really got cooled off. My roommate is graciously letting me use her Mac to do these posts (yesterday and today). I don't think I was clear about where we biked today. But when we crossed the river this morning, we were then on the Washington state side and that's where we stayed until we got almost to Umatilla. Then we rode thru a tunnel and up a steep incline to a bike path that was part of the bridge back across The River to Umatilla. Are you confused? Tomorrow we cross back into WA to Walla Walla.
No comments:
Post a Comment