Sunday, August 2, 2009

August 2, 2009 Hood River, OR


Such a beautiful ride today! Leaving at 7:15 we rode the 1st 25 miles along the Historic Columbia River Hwy. 8 with good, wide shoulders for cyclists. The gorge and forest were just exquisite. Stoped and took pictures at all the beautiful cascading falls (hence, Cascade Mtns ??), stopping first at the Portland Wopmen's Forum - a perfect lookout of the river and mountains. Then, it was on to Latourell Falls, Bridal Veil Falls, Wahkeena Falls, and the most impressive of all, Multnomah Falls. Lastly, Horsetail Falls. I think Multnomah was first recorded by Lewis and Clark. They really were all impressive! There was lots of variety today. From the forest and river road, we were dumped onto I84 (no other option), a sometimes hairy experience, then back on a bike path and down about 30 steep steps to another bike trail. The steps had a kind of trough for the bike wheels, but we elected to carry ours down. I was riding with a group of 5 gals from WA, NY, NC, GA and TN. There are more southerners on this trip than any of my previous ones. Had very sinful lunch at Bridge of the Gods, which looks kind of like an erector set. Lunch was grilled cheese on homemade white bread, fries and Marion Berry pie. Had we known what was ahead we might have had a tuna sandwich. . . Soon after lunch we encountered our first test of strength and endurance in a 1.5 mile climb with switchbacks. Someone with a Garmin said the climb was 10% - 20% grade at various places. With one short rest to catch our breath, we made it. The downhills make these climbs worth the effort and this was no exception. Lovely!! The roadside flowers have been beautiful today - Queen Anne's Lace and Sweetpeas, both considered weeds but, oh, so pretty along the road. Having a really good time, and as always, I really enjoy seeing God's handiwork. . .


Barbara Selstad's husband is preparing dinner for us tonight - fresh salmon and steelhead trout, wild rice from MN, and salad. Barbara lives just over the river on the WA side. What a sweet man. I think he's trying to match Genie's husband who brought us a bountiful cocktail party last summer in Navasota, TX. They are related somehow. . .

I think I rode about 56 miles today.

1 comment:

  1. Clark, all the best on your trip... Have fun and say hi to all that I know. I will follow your blog..
    safe travel!
    Arda

    ReplyDelete